Having to repair or replace your roof can be very pricey. Taking a little time every 6 months or so to inspect your property and perform proper maintenance will help increase the overall longevity of your current roofing system. Spending money unnecessarily is no fun and this often the case when a lack of maintenance is present. Even the smallest leaks can cause extensive damage. Performing routine inspections can help prevent your roof from needing expensive repairs and can easily extend the life by as much as 30%. A great time to do this is during the spring and fall time when you are cleaning your gutters out, just be sure to take the proper safety precautions. Here are a few things to look out for when inspecting your roof:
• Missing or damaged shingles. These are easy to fix and do not cost much to replace. You can easily do this yourself or inexpensively hire a licensed Miami Roofing contractor to assist.
• Signs of fungus or algae. If you notice any of this on your roof, there are several methods to alleviate the problem such as installing zinc or lead control strips. The sooner the better.
• Metal areas for rust. This can be treated with the use of a metal brush, once removed simply prime and paint for a finished look.
• Check all flashing joints, vents and lead stacks. If you notice any signs of cracking, caulk the damaged areas to seal any openings. This can pay dividends in the long run.
• Also check for any cracked mortar or caulking around chimneys. Although rare in Miami, some older homes have chimneys and they should certainly not be ignored.
Also, remember to heck the interior spaces for any signs of leaking such as staining on drywall or moisture. These will only get worse as time goes on and fixing them as soon as you notice will prevent larger headaches down the road.
Other things you can do include:
• Ensure the roof is clear of all debris, especially around gutters and drains.
• Trim branches that are hanging over the roof to prevent any damage that can be caused by falling tree limbs.
These are just a few things you can do to ensure you get the maximum life from your roof. We also recommended having a professional come out to do a thorough roof inspection at least once every 2 years. If you need assistance with this or have any other questions, feel free to reach out to us and one of our friendly customer service representative will be happy to help.